25-Year-Old Dancer with Severe Peanut Allergy Dies After Eating Incorrectly Labeled Cookies

Written by Robert J. Matthews

Cloud Banner

Stew Leonard's, responsible for recalling the cookies, is 'devastated' by the loss of Órla Baxendale, who died from an acute EpiPen allergy.

Cloud Banner

On January 11, Órla Baxendale, a 25-year-old dancer with a severe nut allergy, died of anaphylactic shock after eating cookies without peanuts listed on the label.

Cloud Banner

Baxendale traveled to New York from East Lancashire, England, to dance, according to a statement from the family's attorneys, Howard S.

Cloud Banner

She was radiant and fearless, pursuing her aspirations tirelessly and leaving an everlasting imprint on everyone who knew her "they said.

Cloud Banner

Stew Leonard's, the local grocery store that sold Baxendale's Vanilla Florentine cookies at an event, recalled 500 boxes with the FDA. 

Cloud Banner

Danbury and Newington were their two Connecticut locations that sold seasonal products from Nov. 6 to Dec. 31, 2023. Their best-by date was Jan. 5, 2024.

Cloud Banner

Baxendale's attorney Adime said the dancer had an EpiPen but her allergy was too severe in a second statement.

Cloud Banner

Stew Leonard Jr. released a video offering sympathy. "We're sad today. He said we're devastated and depressed. 

UP NEXT STORIE